Tuesday, August 26, 2014

KD5NJR's Monday Night

I spent Monday evening checking the radio out prior to Maker Faire. Mostly just common sense stuff.

  • Located the radio, power cord and whip antenna among the stuff we took on vacation.
  • Found the radio / computer interface.
  • Started the UZ7HO soundmodem program
  • Verified I had UZ7HO set to listen to the external mic jack on the laptop.
  • Verified I was getting audio from the radio into the computer by looking for "noise" on the UZ7HO waterfall when I cracked the radio's squelch.
  • Verified Windows and UZ7HO agreed with what COM port the radio interface was set to.
  • Set the radio to PKT mode. (Yaesu)
  • Finally I set the radio to 144.390 Mhz. I also set UZ7HO for 1200 baud. In a moment I saw the text of APRS packets.

It didn't take me long to get UZ7HO talking to the APRSIS32 mapping program.
After a while I was satified that APRS was working. So I tuned the radio to 145.01 Mhz.

For "packet radio" I used the EasyTerm program that bundled with Soundmodem ... more on packet later.

73

Scott

kd5njr@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment